From ISU Media Relations
PEORIA, Ill. — Indiana State men’s basketball secures their first win at Bradley since February 24, 2018 in Saturday’s win, 85-77. The Sycamores move to 7-1, 2-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference while Bradley falls to 6-2, 0-2 MVC.
Five Sycamores finished in double digits, led by Robbie Avila with 22 points, nine rebounds, four assists, and a block. Isaiah Swope turned in 18 points with four made threes, three rebounds, four assists, and a pair of steals. Jayson Kent recorded his third double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds, this time against his former team. Kent was a member of the Braves in 2020-21 and 2021-22.
Ryan Conwell scored 17 points, also knocking down four three-pointers, and grabbed three rebounds while leading the team in steals with two. Julian Larry rounded out the top scorers with 10 points, tacking on three rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
Saturday’s battle began back-and-forth between the Sycamores and Braves – the lead never grew more than three points until Kent knocked down a three-pointer just after five minutes into the game.
The Sycamores took control of the tight contest to close out the half. Avila sparked a 17-6 run in a five-minute span to increase the ISU lead to 13 points. Two triples by Conwell and another basket by Avila helped Indiana State to a 19-point lead at the half.
The first-half momentum continued well into the second half, but the Braves found a spark midway to turn the tide. Bradley controlled the floor with an 18-5 spurt cutting the Sycamore lead to six points with 5:30 to play, only for Conwell to convert a tough three-point play in the paint and halt the comeback the Braves had created. Avila followed with a triple and Kent put back a layup after an offensive rebound.
Down the stretch inside the final three minutes, ISU made 7-of-8 from the free throw line after only shooting five attempts through the first 37 minutes of the game.
News & Notes
- Indiana state moved to 7-1 on the season and 2-0 in league for the second-straight time under Coach Josh Schertz.
- Saturday’s 85 points by the Sycamores is the most against Bradley since January 6, 2010 when Bradley defeated the Sycamores 91-85 inn Peoria.
- The Sycamores shot a season-best 48.3% from behind the arc (14-for-29) as a team. This season, including Saturday’s game, ISU is shooting 41.5% from three.
- Isaiah Swope made four threes in a game for the third-straight game, and the sixth game out of eight he has made four or more. He moves to total made threes this season to 30.
- Jayson Kent recorded his third double-double of the season. Kent has also scored in double figures all eight games this season, shooting at a 66.7% clip from the floor.
- Ryan Conwell matched his season-high in threes made with 4. Conwell shot 4-for-8 from three against Alabama in the second game of the season.
Indiana State closes out the two-game road stretch at Northern Illinois on Tuesday, which will tip at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT.